Life is short. My mom was diagnosed with a serious illness this year. One of my worst nightmares came true. The support from family and friends has been incredible.
No matter how the bad situation, I’ll never lose sight of the things worth appreciating:
- Spending more time with my parents in NJ, but still continuing my life in NY
- Our family bond is stronger than ever
- Learning so much and feeling deeply
- Taking vacation days to spend with my family
- Work accommodating my situation (Work from home, time off)
- I still have some time to pursue my passions
That’s about all I want to share publicly. Feel free to reach out if you want to talk about it.
Now that we have the elephant out the way, let’s discuss less heavy matters :)
I’m at the age where my peers and I have all been working for a few years and are asking “is this it?”. I definitely have gripes about VTS in its current state, but overall I’m still very satisfied; I’m building something meaningful alongside people I care about. The Sandi Metz training at the end the year definitely ended 2017 on a high note. I still love the software industry and what it continuously teaches me.
But I want my life to be less defined by my work and job title. It’s a part of who I am but not all that I am. I want to continue to invest in health, relationships, and ideas.
Ideas come in many forms. I’m pretty much always reading in my free time. Ideas come from conversations and imagery around New York. I want to share these ideas more.
- Austin, Texas in September for Nate and Kendalls’s wedding
- Shout out to KKao for giving me a great tour of the city
- Indianapolis in May for the Indy 500 with college friends
- I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the city
- San Francisco in January
- So many friends and so many museums
- Tokyo trip was postponed indefinitely because of Mom’s illness
- Zenas’s wedding was great! I didn’t know anyone else but made friends
- I got a Nintendo Switch and a PS4 so I’m officially back to living out 16 year old Andrew’s dreams. Kind of kidding but multiplayer gaming is really a great way to hang out with friends without leaving your apartment 😅
- I paid off all my (private) student loans!
- Gov Ball Friday Saturday was a blast
- EZOO for 3 days was exhausting but also a blast
- I love Rezz 🌀__ 🌀
- My love for New York only grew stronger
- The outpouring of support for my family has been heartwarming
- I took Japanese classes for 5 months. I want to learn more in the future.
- Took a few hip hop dance classes that were really fun
- Meditation habit started strong but has been sporadic. Definitely want to to restart
- Winter break days with my family were so meaningful and reinvigorating
Books I Read - Sorted by Favorites
- Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder
- Principles: Life and Work
- Machine, Platform, Crowd: Harnessing Our Digital Future
- Confident Ruby
- Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
- Tribe: On Homecoming and Belonging
- How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life
- Free Women, Free Men: Sex, Gender, Feminism
- The Bed of Procrustes: Philosophical and Practical Aphorisms
- Goodbye, Vitamin
- Radical Candor: Be a Kickass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity
- Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City